The MAHCC Book of the Month Project is an activity started under the aegis of the Chamber's Latino Educational Empowerment Through Reading (LEER®) program. The acronym LEER means "to read" in Spanish. Thus, the Book of the Month series is part of the Chamber's effort to promote literacy in the United States and in the world as well as to encourage the development of multilingual societies and the enrichment and preservation of mankind's greatest cultural achievement: Languages.
To help promote literacy, the MAHCC encourages its members to celebrate International Literacy Day on September 8 and National Family Literacy Day on November 1. Moreover, the Chamber supports the Library of Congress' National Book Festival held every year in September on the National Mall.
In addition, the Chamber is pleased to organize the Book of the Month, an activity that features books written in English, usually bestsellers, and which have been recommended by at least one member. Also, we plan to organize a Book of the Month featuring books in Spanish. The objective will be for readers of Hispanic descent to maintain profficiency in Spanish and those of non-Hispanic descent to have an opportunity to practice their Spanish and broaden their cultural and business horizons.
* * *
Current Book-of-the Month Selection
January 2017: Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing.
* * *
Previous Book-of-the Month Selections
- November 2014: Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When the Stakes are High by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, and Al Switzler
- August 2014: American Creation by Joseph Ellis
- March 2014: David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants, by Malcolm Gladwell
- February 2014: Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, by Sheryl Sandberg
- January 2014: The Essential Drucker, by Peter Drucker
- December 2013: Leading Change, by John P. Kotter
- November 2013: A Whole New Mind, by Daniel H. Pink
- October 2013: First, Break All the Rules, by Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman
- September 2013: The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference, by Malcolm Gladwell
- August 2013: Cheap: The High Cost of Discount Culture, by Ellen Ruppel Shell
- July 2013: Free: The Concept of a Radical Price, by Chris Anderson
- June 2013: The Power of Habit, by John Maxwell
- May 2013: The 5 Levels of Leadership, by John Maxwell
- April 2013: Speak to Win: How to Present with Power in Any Situation, by Brian Tracy
- March 2013: Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen Covey
- February 2013: The Innovator's Dilemma: When New Technologies Cause Great Firms to Fail, by Clayton M. Christensen
- January 2013: Grand Pursuit. The Story of Economic Genius, by Sylvia Nasar.
- December 2012: Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Whole Branding Team (fourth edition), by Alina Wheeler.
- November 2012: Measure What Matters: Online Tools For Understanding Customers, Social Media, Engagement, and Key Relationships, by Katie Delahaye Paine.
- October 2012: Group Genius: The Power of Collaboration, by Keith Sawyer, Ph.D.
- September 2012: Little Bets: How Breakthrough Ideas Emerge from Small Discoveries, by Peter Sims.
- March 2012: How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie.
- February 2012: Who Moved my Cheese? by Spencer Johnson, MD.
- January 2012: The Speed of Trust: The One Thing That Changes Everything, by Stephen M. R. Covey.