Sweet Diablo brings Portugal's corner café to downtown Washington, DC. Opened by partners Rosa Silva and Nuno Geraldes Freire in 2012, Sweet Diablo celebrates the European tradition of creating culinary experiences through artisanal confections, freshly made breads, fine cheeses and meats, and farm fresh produce. Life is to be savored, and it starts with what is on your plate.
At Sweet Diablo, we prepare our menu in the Portuguese tradition of using beautiful ingredients in simple combinations to bring out amazing flavors. With recipes created by Chef Michael Guerrieri, our Paoninis are a play on the Panini sandwich combining Portuguese meats and cheeses on freshly baked ciabatta to create distinct flavors that will captivate your mouth. Our soups and salads create a lighter play on some of these traditional ingredients. Moreover,
- We brew Illy coffee to serve alongside our Pastéis de Nata, a Portuguese custard tart whose tradition dates back to 1837 where it was first created in a Lisbon monastery;
- All of our breads and pastries are baked freshly each morning;
- Our Not Your Usual Cheescake (NYUC) is pure temptation. Made without eggs, and topped with a fruit sauce, each bite is delectable;
- Portuguese berliners or the equivalent of the Americas cream-filled doughnut, Bolas are plump, little globes of fried dough filled with sweet custard cream and dusted in sugar. Found in nearly every pastelaria across Portugal, you'll find them in Sweet Diablo on Mondays, Wednesday and Thursdays;
- Our Paoninis are rooted in the Italian tradition, but with a taste that is all Portugal. Made with ciabatta bread that is baked fresh each morning, we combine fresh ingredients with authentic Portuguese favorites such as Alheira, Bacalhau, Chourico, Farinheira, Morcela to create a truly tempting experience.
Sweet Diablo is proud to feature renowned Portuguese Chef Carlos Braz Lopes signature chocolate cake. This flourless, gluten-free confection features thin, crunchy chocolate meringue layers filled with a creamy chocolate mousse and a ganache top. A popular sensation in Portugal, Spain, Australia and Brazil, Sweet Diablo is proud to be the exclusive distributor of the Best Chocolate Cake in the World in the United States.